Followers

Saturday 21 May 2016

Troublesome teens - Sweet Stampin'

Morning all,

I've come to tell you about the latest challenge at Sweet Stampin'. Yes, I know it's not my week, but it just so happened to be my son's best friend's birthday recently, and of course he needed a card. Which brings me to the theme...

Troublesome teens

Because let's face it... They really are! And if making a card for a 13 year old boy wasn't challenging enough, the teen in question also happens to be colour blind, so I wanted to make a card that he'd actually be able to see properly, so to speak.

For those who don't know how it works, and would maybe like some info for future crafting reference, read on. Otherwise, please scroll on for the card.

There are, to simplify rather a bit - forgive me, three main types of colour blindness. The full colour blindness, which means all colours are difficult, is thankfully very rare. If you're making a card for someone so afflicted, you're pretty much scuppered, lol.

The next one is blue/yellow colour blindness, which means people who suffer from it struggle with those colours. Reds and pinks are a good option for them. This is more common, but still relatively rare.

The most common type of colour blindness is red/green. These colours tend to look grey or brownish and will often get mixed up by someone with this type. Purples and oranges can also be tricky, so the best colours are blues and yellows.

There are other variations, and there's a LOT better info out there (including fancy Latin names and all that), but this will hopefully give you a rough idea. As an added bit of info: It's far more common in men than in women.

If you made it through all that, well done! On to the card. I hope that if you read the above, you'll be able to figure out what type of colour blindness the recipient has.


Forgiveness for the photo quality... we were having a particularly dreary few days around then!

I'm happy to report that the recipient loved his card, which sports a very useful Kenny K image I'll no doubt be using again

That's it from me today (it's enough, I'd say!). I hope you all have a most awesomesauce weekend!

Sammy-x

11 comments:

brenda said...

Super card both the image and colouring Sammy.

Have a lovely weekend.

B x

An Occasional Genius said...

Well you definitely educated me Sammy. I have had to make cards for blind (lots of texture) & partially sighted (high contrast) recipients before but not colour blind. At least I will have a bit of insight now if I ever do. Fab card and a perfect image for teen boys (the most difficult of all species!). Have a great weekend xx

Chris said...

This is a great card for a teenage boy Sammy, fun image and lovely uncluttered design. Also very thoughtful to bear his colour blindness in mind and use a colour combo that will be attractive to the recipient!
Chris
x

Wendy Nicola Jackson said...

Wow Sammy, that is so fabulous. How clever to choose a colour palette that he'll see and truly enjoy. Beyond thoughtful. Love the image and your gorgeous card design. Brilliant hun, brilliant. Hugs, Wends x

Unknown said...

Great card and just perfect for a teenage lad :)
Hugs, Kaz x

Sarah said...

A brilliant and extremely thoughtful card Sammy xx

Desire Fourie said...

Lol, then he has the most common kind of colour blindness. Your card is great and perfect for a teenager.
Hugs Desíre {Doing Life}

cotnob said...

A brilliant card Sammy, perfect for your son's best friend.
Pauline
x

McCrafty's Cards said...

A great card Sammy, I like the fun image
Kevin xx

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

A very cool card Sammy, the image is great. The post is very informative, one of my sons had once to flip through all the colour charts to see if he had inherited colour blindness. It took an hour :)

Love and hugs
Maarit

Sue said...

Great card Sammy! I love this image it's such a great one for teenagers lots of huggles Sue xx