Followers

Tuesday 14 August 2018

Twofer geometric fun

Hello all,

Playing along again with the Twofer challenge today. I love the theme this month - Geometric shapes - and I immediately had so many ideas.

For my cards I made a Hallowe'en card and an anniversary card for my husband.



I remembered a had a packet of Joanna Sheen signature dies, which were all geometric shapes, so I chose the hexagon die, and immediately began cutting Tim Holtz Hallowe'en paper hexagons. 36 of them!!! It was a little slow going, with only the one die, but as I wanted to make a patchwork background with them, I set to. Then after cutting, I did some faux stitching around the edges of each hexagon (why no, I really didn't have anything better to do, honest!). Finally I assembled them into a background, trimmed it, and mounted on a black card blank.
I picked a Tim Holtz ephemera card for my image, but I thought it was too stark white in comparison with the papers, so I covered it in a layer of vintage collage medium, which aged it just perfectly. A couple of Halloween sentiments and a button with golden thread finished it off.


I am very pleased with the result (I'd better be, after all that effort!). It's not often I make Hallowe'en cards, as sending them isn't a thing here in the UK, but I have a neighbour a few doors down who is completely nuts about Hallowe'en, so I thought she might like it.

My next card uses the same hexagon die, which I used to cut hexagons from black card. I also have a Tim Holz die that cuts smaller hexagons, so used that to add bookprint hexagons to the center of each of the black ones, before mounting them onto a bookprint background with foam tape, and adding an appropriate sentiment for our upcoming anniversary.


I went with the bookprint theme, mainly because our mutual love of books is how we first connected twenty years ago. The book used is one of Clive Cussler's, an author we both love. Don't worry, it won't stop us from being able to read it again, as this was a second copy that I rescued from being thrown away at work. They seem to think that yellowed pages are a bad thing! *sigh*

So, that's my Twofer this month. If you want to go play too, just click the link below.

Twofer card challenge



That's it from me for today.

Have a fantabulous day everyone!

Sammy-x

7 comments:

Brenda said...

Wow Sammy, I am loving your take on the Twofer Challenge! I love Halloween and have always loved vintage Halloween decorations, so this first card you made is right up my ally! What is some work you put in on die cutting and stitching all those hex's and I love the look you got! The card looks so nice that you distressed and aged it-love, love, love! I also love the anniversary card, so Happy Anniversary! It is so cool that you were able to rescue a book that was going to be thrown away because of yellowed pages! OMGosh, don't they know how much we love yellowed pages?!! lol Love that it is the author that you and hubby love-I think it is so cool and romantic that you and hubby met through your love of reading. I so love to read. So this is an awesome anniversary card and a completely different look with the hex's! Love it! Hugs, Brenda

Darnell said...

That is really dedication, Sammy! I'm very impressed that you die cut all those hexagons, hand-stitched them, and then arranged them in a quilt! Your choice of image and sediments and sweet button all add tons without diminishing that amazing quilt! I also love your anniversary card! It is unique, beautifully geometric, and you made it very personal with your love of books. It's masculine, yet still romantic! Thank you so much for playing in Twofer Card Challenge #8! Hugs, Darnell

Chris said...

Sammy, both of these cards are fantastic! Love the halloween one with all those die cut and stitched! hexagons...gorgeous papers! You've achieved such a different look from the same die with your lovely understated anniversary card. Clever clogs!
Chris
x

Brenda in IN said...

I thought that was hexagon paper until I read the post. The patchwork card is truly a work of art. The hexagons over the book print is very clever. Two fun cards and I love Clive Cussler too.

KathyA. said...

Saw your card when I entered mine and had to stop by to say WOW! Love your work, your dedication and your sense of humor. I'm adding you to my "watch for more" list!

Kara Lynne said...

All that cranking and faux stitching - now that's dedication! Such a fabulous way to use your papers together. Well done getting that ephemera card to just the right shade of vintage too! I really shouldn't, but I'm going to say it anyway - it's spooktacular! Okay, sorry. Your anniversary card is fantastic! I love that you used a mutual favorite, and the hexagons are nicely balanced by the black twine. Thanks for joining in the fun with us at the Twofer Card Challenge!

Anita in France said...

What a fantastic quilted background, Sammy ... the colours and patterns are deliciously rich ... fabulous with that spooky halloween owl image! Cool and stylish anniversary card ... the monochrome palette gives it such great impact ... and how romantic to make it using a mutually loved book! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Twofer! Anita :)